IGRAC has recently launched the GGMN - Groundwater Monitoring app. This app enables users to georeference and register groundwater monitoring stations and groundwater level monitoring data, with the option of submitting the collected data to the Global Groundwater Monitoring Network (GGMN) Portal. The app is now available for Android devices and can be downloaded here.
This groundwater monitoring app can be used in two different ways, either as an independent monitoring tool or as part of the GGMN. Both are described below so that you can assess which approach suits your requirements.
If you would just like to store groundwater monitoring data on your own phone, you can use this app without registering to the GGMN. You can create new groundwater monitoring stations and periodically add new readings, but the data will be stored only in your phone (no possibility to share them with other users). In addition, you will have access to all public data from other monitoring stations in GGMN.
Synchronisation with GGMN
Registering to the GGMN will give you additional functionalities to get even more from this app. As a registered member of GGMN:
- You will be able to share your data with other users;
- You will have the option to make your data private, allowing only people from your organisation to have access to it;
- You will have access to the GGMN Portal tools (spatial analysis, time series analysis, QGIS plugin) for your own wells;
- If you register one or more groundwater monitoring stations in the app and you want to register them in the GGMN portal as well, you will receive an email with the data in the appropriate format to store it on your computer and to upload it through the portal. By doing so, you will be able to upload all future readings to the system directly through the mobile app;
- You can collect data offline and upload them when internet is available, which is especially important when you go to remote areas;
- And, most importantly, you will be supporting the global groundwater community!
How to get started?
- Install the app (here)
- Login with your GGMN login credentials (if not yet registered, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org). If you don’t want to register, go to the next step.
- Start adding new groundwater monitoring stations and groundwater level measurements!
The GGMN App is powered by MyWell, which is a smartphone and SMS app developed in the framework of the MARVI (Managed Aquifer Recharge and Sustaining Groundwater Use through Village-level Intervention) project funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR). In the MARVI, MyWell assists ‘groundwater informed’ volunteers, or Bhujal Jankaars (BJs) in the monitoring of groundwater levels, rainfall, checkdam water level and water quality in rural communities in India. More information about MyWell and MARVI in: http://www.marvi.org.in/home.