On 24 and 25 June, the Southern Africa Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI) hosted the closing workshop for the project Capacity Building For Data Collection And Management In SADC Member States (SADC-GWdataCoM). IGRAC as lead implementing organisation, together with project partner the Institute for Groundwater Studies (IGS), and SADC-GMI presented the outcomes of the SADC-GWdataCoM project that was implemented between September 2017 and April 2019.
The closing workshop was attended by staff members of the (ground)water departments of most SADC-Member States, including the new SADC Member the Comoros. Both senior officials and young professionals engaged in groundwater data collection and management took part.
Framework for groundwater data collection and management
The workshop was also the official launch of the latest product resulting from the project: The SADC-wide Framework for Groundwater Data Collection and Data Management (main report and executive summary). This framework, that sits between regional and national strategic plans and technical manuas, provides guidance on an organisational and planning aspects of groundwater data collection and management. It aims to
- Assist Member States which are currently facing difficulties in groundwater data collection and management to develop adequate groundwater data collection and management procedures at national level that match their financial and human capacity and level of development; and
- Enhance transboundary and regional cooperation through harmonisation of practices across Member States in terms of data collection and management and facilitate data-exchange.
To raise awareness at the highest levels on the importance of groundwater data, SADC-GMI had already presented the executive summary of the framework for consideration at the SADC Joint Meeting of Ministers of Energy and for Water held in Windhoek, Namibia in May 2019.
Main project outputs
- A report on the State of Groundwater Management and Data Collection in SADC-region, based on literature review and interviews with 145 groundwater professionals in the region
- Capacitating of 22 young professionals in groundwater data collection and management through various assignments and training workshops
- A consultation and workshop with senior officials responsible for groundwater data collection and management
- Updating and promoting of the SADC-Groundwater Information Portal (SADC-GIP)
- SADC-GWdataCoM project outputs:
The SADC Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI) has initiated a project to expand the SADC Groundwater Information Portal (SADC-GIP) and make it a one-stop centre for accessing groundwater data in the SADC region.